Interlaken, Or Interlaciien
INTERLAKEN, or INTERLACIIEN, a Swiss village in the canton and 26 miles south-east of the town of Bern, is situated on the left bank of the Aare in the low-lying district named the TIOdeli, between the lakes of Thun and Bricnz. The nanio is strictly applied to the few buildings which occupy the site of the religious houses founded in 1130 and abolished in 1528, but is generally used as including also the Hoheweg, a handsome avenue shaded with walnut trees and flanked by hotels and shops, and the village of Aarmiihle at its western extremity. The houses are mostly of timber, but the village is lighted with gas, and has an excellent water-supply. The east wing of the Augnstinian monastery has been used since 1836 as a hospital for the poor ; and the rest of the building together with the castle, added in 1750, is now occupied by Government offices. The nunnery, which was suppressed in 1484-, has been converted into a prison. The Kursaal, on the 115heweg, was opened by the hotelkeepers in 1869. Between 130,000 and 200,000 strangers visit Interlaken annually, being attracted by its beautiful situation and fine climate, as well as by its goat's-whey cure. Interlaken is a convenient centre from which to visit the Bernese Oberland, with the Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen valleys and the Giessbach and Staubbach falls. Population of Interlaken, Aarmiihle, and the adjacent Unterseen, in 1880,4080.