JOIGNY, chief town of an arrondissement in the department of Yonne, France, is situated on the right bank of the Yonne, about 12 miles north-west of Auxerre. Its streets are steep and narrow ; some of the houses are of wood, and date from the 15th or 16th century. Joigny has tribunals of first instance and commerce, a communal college, a library with 9000 volumes, and a civil and military hospital, and manufactures cloth, hunting and other arms, percussion-caps, leather, cooper work, and brandy. It has also trade in cereals, cattle, and wood, and in an excellent variety of wine, produced in the neighbourhood. The chief buildings are the old and interesting churches of St Andrew, St John, and St Thibaut ; the ruins of the old castle of the 10th century ; the partly destroyed later castle ; the large 10th century tower beside the prison ; the hStel-de-ville, of 1727; the palais-de-justice, including the fine chapel of the Ferrands ; the college ; and the stone bridge of seven arches. Of the former massive fortifications, St John's gate and the moat are the chief remains. The population in 1876 was 5975.
Joigny, in Latin Joviniacum, is held to have been founded by Flavius Jovinins, magister equitom under the emperor Yalentinian (361 A.D.). It gave its name to an important line of mediaeval counts (whence sprang the counts of Joinville), who about 1716 merged in the dukes of Villeroy.