JARNAC, chief town of a canton in the arrondissement of Cognac, in the department of Charente, France, is situated on the right bank of the river Charente, about S miles cast of Cognac, and 18 miles west of Angouleme. The town is well built ; and a handsome avenue, planted with poplar trees, leads to the striking suspension bridge. The church contains an interesting ogival crypt. Brandy, wine, and wine-casks are made in the town. At the battle of Jarnac, fought in 1569 between 26,000 Catholics under the Due d'Anjou and 15,000 Protestants under Coligny and Conde, the last was treacherously shot after surrendering. A pyramid marks the spot where he fell. In the vicinity of the town are some Roman remains. Jarnac gave name to an old French family, of which the best known member is Gui Chabot, baron de Jarnac (d. car. 1575), who gave rise to the proverbial phrase coup de Jarnac by a sudden thrust during a duel. The population in 1876 was 4390.