Kaneff, Or Kanieff
KANEFF, or KANIEFF, a town of Russia, in the Kieff government, on the Dnieper, 141 miles south-east of Kieff. The population, which in 1863 was returned as 6838, was about 8000 in 1879 ; but neither the trade nor the industry of the place is of importance.
Vsevolod of Kieff founded a church at Kanieff in 1144, and in the latter part of the same century the place was the annual rendezvous of the forces collected to give protection to the merchant ships returning from Greece. In 1880 Poniatoffski, to whom it had passed from Stanislaus Augustus, gave the revenues of the town and the site of the royal court to the prior of the Basilians, who assigned them to the Kaneff schools of the brotherhood. The administration of the Boguslaff district was transferred to Kaneff in 1837, and in 1844 the district took the name of that town.