Jabalpur, Or Jubbulpore
JABALPUR, or JUBBULPORE, the headquarters of the above district, is situated in 23° 11' N. lat., 79° 59' E. long., miles south-east from Sagar. The numerous gorges in the neighbouring rocks have been taken advantage of to surround the town with a series of lakes, which, shaded by fine trees, and bordered by fantastic crags and massy boulders, add much beauty to the suburbs. The town itself is modern, and is laid out in wide and regular streets. A streamlet separates the civil station and cantonment from the town ; but, though the climate is mild, a swampy hollow beneath renders the site unhealthy for Europeans. Jabalpur contains a school of industry, where tents and Jabalpur, which has now become one of the most important cotton. The total exports, principally raw cotton and wheat, were valued at £160,000. The population, almost entirely Hindu, was 55,188 in 1877.