IVREA, the ancient Eporedia, a town of northern Italy, capital of a district of the same name, is situated at the foot Baltea, and at the termination of a branch railway line from Chivasso, 29 miles north-north-east of Turin. It is irregularly built, and has an antique and picturesque appearance. The site of the old fortifications is now occupied by promenades. The town possesses an old citadel with three lofty brick towers; a cathedral, supposed to occupy the site of a temple of Apollo ; an ecclesiastical seminary, a gymnasium, and several convents and benevolent institutions. The river is crossed by a Roman bridge of one arch. There are important silk manufactures, and a considerable trade in cheese, cattle, and other produce of the Alps. The population of the town in 1871 was 5093.
Ivrea occupied the site of the old Roman Eporedia, which originally belonged to the Salassi, and received a Roman colony about 100 B. C. , founded in accordance with the directions of the Sibylline books. It afterwards became the seat of the Longobardian dukes, and on the conquest of the Longobards by Charlemagne it was made the capital of a marquisate. In 950 Berenger II. of Ivrea succeeded in mounting the Italian throne, but he held this position for only a short time. His grandson Otho became the founder of the line of the dukes of Burgundy. Arduin, marquis of Ivrea, again aspired to the throne of Italy after the death of Otho III. in 1002, and also disputed the possession of the imperial dignity with Ilenry II., but was defeated by Henry in 1003, after which Ivrea was incorporated with the empire. In 1248 the town and marquisate were given to the counts of Savoy. The town was occupied by the French hi 1554, 1641, and 1704. In 1796 they again made themselves masters of it ; and, after losing it for some time, they reacquired it in 1800, and held it till 1814, making it the capital of the department of Doire.