KANIZSA, NAGY "Great "), a market-town of Hungary, in the trans-Danubian county of Zala, lies 31 miles north-north-east of Kopreinitz, and at the junction of the lines of railway from Sopron (Oedenburg) and Szekesfehervar (Stuldweissenburg), 46° 28' N. lat., 17° 0' E. long. Among the public and other buildings are a fine Roman Catholic church, a Franciscan monastery, a Piarist gymnasium, a town-hall, royal and magisterial courts of law, and the usual Government offices. In the neighbourhood are distilleries and brick-making factories. The markets periodically held in the town are much frequented, and the trade in grain, horned cattle, and pigs is generally brisk. The population at the end of 1880 was 18,393.
Nagy-Kanizsa once ranked as the second fortress of Hungary, and consequently played an important part during the wars with the Turks, who, having gained possession of it in 1600, held it until near the close of the 17th century. In 1690, after a siege of two years, it was recovered by the Austrian and Hungarian forces. Its reversion to Hungary was ratified by the treaty of Carlowitz (1699). In 1702 the fortifications were destroyed, and there are now but few traces of their former existence.