INVERARAY, a royal, parliamentary, and municipal burgh of Scotland, the county town of Argyllshire, is situated at the lower end of a small bay, where the river Aray falls into the north-western waters of Loch Fyne, 40 miles north-west of Glasgow. The town is small, consisting of one street running east and west, and a row of houses facing the bay. The county buildings and courthouse are handsome edifices. Near the church stands a small obelisk in memory of certain members of the clan Campbell who were executed on the spot in 1685 for preaching against Popery. The ancient market-cross, supposed to have been brought from Iona, is a fine specimen of the Scottish sculptured stones. The chief industry of Inveraray is the herring-fishery, the herring of Loch Fyne being celebrated for their excellence. To the fishing " district " of Inveraray there belonged in 1879 690 boats, 1647 fishermen and boys, and fishing-gear to the value of £31,592. In the district, or in boats fishing off its coast, 33,837 barrels of herring and 86 cwt. of cod and ling were cured iu 1879. The town originally stood on the north side of the bay, clustering round the ancient baronial hold, attributed to Colin the Singular, who flourished at the end of the 14th century, but it was removed to its present site in the middle of the 18th century. Inveraray was erected into a burgh of barony in 1472 ; and Charles I., while a prisoner in Carisbrook Castle, raised it to a royal burgh in 1648. It is governed by a provost and council. Much has been done for Inveraray by the ducal house of Argyll, whose seat, Inveraray Castle, is a quarter of a mile to the north. This hand-seine square edifice, built between 1744 and 1761 and restored 1879-80, consists of two stories and a sunk floor, with round overtopping towers at the four corners. Many interesting and valuable relics were destroyed by a fire in 1877. The population of the royal burgh in 1871 was 984, and in 1881 it was 039.